Kenilworth Tea Garden is situated in the Central Province in the District of Nuwara Eliya, approximately 102 Kilo Meters from Colombo – the Capital city of Sri Lanka. Kenilworth is the flagship Estate of Watawala Plantations PLC. It would appear that the name KENILWORTH originated from an English background, which is traced to a magnificent Castle situated in Warwickshire, UK. This estate was originally owned and managed by M/s Gorden Frazer & Co. Ltd. The last British Planter to serve on Kenilworth was Mr. W R D Waller. The Planters who served on Kenilworth are:
Few Past Managers’ Detail
|Mr. R R D Waller||1947 to 1950||Mr. Anil De Silva||1991 to 1997|
|Mr. W R Bainz||1950 to 1962||Mr. Mahendra Pilapitiya||1997 to 2000|
|Mr. Victor St. George||1962 to 1968||Mr. Ajitha de Alwis||2000 to 2002|
|Mr. A E Anandappa||1968 to 1978||Mr. Alex Samuel||2002 to 2005|
|Mr. M C B Talwatte||1979 to 1988||Mr. E M K Ambanpola||2005 to 2009|
|Mr. Kavi Senevirathne||1989 to 1990||Mr. Dinesh Perera||2009 to 2014|
|Mr. K G S Perera||1990 to 1991||Mr. Manoj Ramdas||Since November 2014|
The Estate nestles between two prominent rivers of Sri Lanka “Kelani” & “Mahaweli”. Kenilworth experiences an annual rainfall of approximately 4500 mm spread over 200 days and enjoys the benefits of both the South West and the North East monsoons. Elevation varies from 616 to 640 meters.
The total extent of Kenilworth is 603.11 Hect. Of which 295.36 Ha (49%) is planted in Tea. The remaining 51% is under Fuel wood cultivation/Forestry and in grass to be replanted into tea. Of the total extent in Tea 86% is under high yielding vegetatively propagated (VP) tea. The annual production of Kenilworth is around 560,000 kgs of made tea representing a yield of 1900 kgs per hectare.
Under the Medium Grown category, Kenilworth occupies a prestigious position in the Sale Average and is possibly one of the prime selling marks of Sri Lanka. The Factory is situated at an elevation of 616 meters and carries out an orthodox process of manufacture. The annual production including bought crop is approximately 800,000 kgs made tea. The factory has obtained “Fairtrade Certificate” in July, 2008. (FLO certified producer) Existing Tea factory was built in 1947 having demolished the old Factory built in 1942.
Kenilworth Tea garden, which consists of five Divisions is situated in the Central Province and comes under the District of Nuwara Eliya, and in close to the Ginigathena town.
Hazard Analysis & Critical Control Points (HACCP)
The Ethical Tea Partnership (ETP)
CQC 2 Star
Sri Lanka Standards Institution (SLSI) Certification
Society General Surveilance (SGS)